German Apple Pancake {a not so traditional holiday meal}

Wednesday, December 6, 2017





After my interview with Bosch Mixer I promised to post my very special recipe for German Apple Pancake.  Here is a step by step of the recipe, which is so easy but yet makes such a beautiful dish to serve for breakfast, brunch, or a late evening snack after a big holiday meal! You will love this so much!






The ingredients are simple:

1 stick of melted butter (reserve 1/2 of the stick for later)
1 cup of flour
1 cup milk
6 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 or 4 apples 




Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.  Put 1/2 stick of butter in a large (twelve inch) cast iron skillet and place this in the hot oven.  Let the butter melt but not brown.




While you are waiting for the butter in the skillet to melt, place the flour, milk, eggs, vanilla, salt and nutmeg in a blender and give it a good whirl until everything is mixed.  





Remove your hot skillet from the oven and pour the batter in the skillet.  Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.  Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake about 10 - 15 minutes longer.  Every oven is different and it may cook faster or slower in yours.  





You want it to bake until it is golden brown and puffy.  Don't be alarmed if your pancake looks really crazy; puffing and climbing up the sides of the skillet!  This is normal!





While your pancake is cooking, prepare the apples.  I've used so many different apples and honestly they are all good.  But cooking apples probably taste the best.  In this picture I'm using what I had on hand which were the yummiest Pink Ladies.  

Core and slice your apples into slices of a consistent thickness.  Do not peel them!





Pour them into another cast iron skillet along with the other 1/2 stick of butter.  Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently to keep them from burning.  You want them to be soft but not to cook so long that they get mushy.   For the last few minutes I turn the heat up and cook my apples so that a few of them get a light brown on the sides.  Remove from the heat and set aside.   

Optional: I do not add any sugar to my apples as we like that this pancake is not sweet.   However, feel free to sprinkle your apples with some sugar towards the end of the cooking time.  Stir them well and continue cooking until the sugar forms a bit of a syrup.




When your pancake is done, remove it from the oven.  Using a large pancake turner, scoop the pancake from the skillet and place it on a large platter.  Spoon all your fried apples onto half of the pancake.  




Fold the other half the pancake over the cooked apples and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  




Slice up the pancake and serve immediately.  

I also serve them with some hot pure maple syrup on the side.  And with a slice of bacon too!  I promise you, there won't be any leftovers!  

For my printable recipe, click here and enjoy! 


4 comments:

  1. That is so much easier than I thought it would be! I was just this morning considering making an apple pie for Christmas dessert, but I think I'll do this instead. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Dori, this is soooo goood, Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. uh....yum! and I just happen to have two cast iron skillets!
    (I'm soooo behind on blog reading!}

    ReplyDelete