Cranberry Orange Bread... Good Anytime!

Wednesday, April 26, 2017




I woke up this morning with a craving for Cranberry Orange bread!  It is one of my favorite quick breads to make; so easy and so delicious.  Obviously it is really wonderful around Thanksgiving and Christmas time; but seriously, I love it all year!  I buy cranberries when they are inexpensive during the holidays and throw them in my freezer and they always taste fresh!  



Since I couldn't manage to get the craving to pass (smile!) I decided the best thing to do was just make the bread.  I thought since I am WAY overdue on a blog post, this would be a great thing to share with you today!    Here we go.... 





In a large mixing bowl place:
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar

Mix with a whisk.






Whisk together:
2 beaten eggs
1 cup orange juice
4 tablespoons melted butter
4 tablespoons hot water

Make a well in your flour and pour the egg and orange juice mixture into the well.  





Grate the peel from one orange and add to the dough mixture.  




Mix the flour mixture and egg mixture together with a large spoon.  Don't be concerned if all the flour isn't mixed in.  This is a stiff batter.




Add to the batter:
2 cup raw whole cranberries




Gently mix in the cranberries until all the flour is incorporated.




Grease and flour two loaf pans and spoon half the batter into each pan  The batter will not pour.  It is very thick and very stiff.  




Generously sprinkle raw sugar crystals over the batter in each pan.  




Lots of sugar crystals are very good!!!  




Bake one hour at 325 degrees until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.  These loaves of bread will not rise more than a few inches.  Remove from pans and let them cool.  




Slice, butter and serve when warm!




Or my favorite? Butter the slices, broil under a broiler just until bread is lightly toasted and eat for breakfast.  Or lunch.  Or snack.  Or just whenever you are craving it!


This bread will freeze excellent!  


For my printable recipe, click here and enjoy!  




8 comments:

  1. Oooh, that looks SO good! What a wonderful treat, anytime of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good even though I am not a fan of orange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dori, that was so nice having the "print" button and it looks really wonderful!! Thank YOU!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How yummy that looks. With all the incessant cold, rainy days of spring, this would perk things up considerably. I must look for the Demerara sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy. My husband loves loaf breads so I will be trying this. I am sure he will love it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always nice to hear from you Dori:). I need the feel of Fall in this recipe:). My sister and mom will love this delicious quick bread with a cuppa.
    Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have missed your blogging! Kept checking back and hooray! here you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dorie~ I am in total agreement with you that cranberry orange bread is good ANY TIME! Goodness yours looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete