Seriously Amazing Strawberry Scones

Friday, March 25, 2016






This week I made some strawberry scones and posted a picture on Facebook and Instagram and I received many comments and emails asking for the recipe.   So for all my wonderful readers, I decided to make the sacrifice and make more scones today...  you know, so I could take some pictures and write about them!


Certainly not because there were none left and I really wanted more!








So, the back story.  I recently cleaned out my freezer and had two little tiny bags of frozen strawberries left over from our amazing May and June strawberry season last year.  We have a strawberry farm just down the road from us that grows and sells THE BEST strawberries I've ever eaten.  (And I'm not kidding about that.)  And since I had that little bag of strawberries on the brain... and scones on the brain, it just made sense to indulge!


So, here is how I made them!






Into a large glass bowl place: 3 cups flour, 5 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/3 cup sugar. Mix well and add 2 sticks of chilled butter cut into cubes.






Using a pastry cutter, cut your butter into small pea size pieces.  






Whisk 3/4 cup of heavy cream and 1 egg together in a small bowl...






...and add it to your flour mixture.






I also like to add about 1/4 of a cup of chopped strawberries to the dough.  Since mine were frozen, there was also a lot of juice so I didn't need more than that.  If you were using fresh strawberries, you might want to try to mash them just a little bit to get the juice out... it makes the scones so good!






Mix together until it is looks like this.  Kind of mixed together, but yet crumbly.






Prepare a surface to roll out your dough.  I use a pastry sheet, but you could just use your counter top.  Add a little flour to keep the dough from sticking.






It will be very crumbly.






Use your hands to knead in all the crumbly pieces and form a nice ball.






Roll out the dough to a large circle about 3/4 inch thick.






Using a pizza cutter, cut the circle into about 8 - 12 wedges.  I actually like to cut some smaller wedges for me since I don't eat that much.  


Ha!  Kidding!  (Smile!)   I actually cut small ones for my grand-girls. 






Cover a jelly roll pan with parchment paper and place your scone wedges onto the paper.  Be sure to leave a little distance between them so the edges get crispy!






Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes until they are firm and a little brown.







Set them aside to cool and make the frosting.  I do not use a lot of frosting, because I like the sweetness to come from the strawberries.  But I do make enough frosting to drizzle over the berries.  So, I only use about 1 cup of powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, and a tiny bit of heavy cream... adding a little more as you stir.  You can also add a tiny bit of strawberry juice if you have it left over from your strawberries.    Mix it all together well; you want it to be a bit runny so you can drizzle it.






Place a few slices of strawberries on each scone and drizzle the frosting over each one.






Serve when they are warm!   But, I won't kid you... they are just as good the next day (if you have any left)!


Click here to upload and print the recipe!




6 comments:

  1. You are the best!!! Many thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, those do look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! Perfect for Easter and Spring/Summer dessert, well, for everyday!
    Happy Easter! Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Cannot wait to try these this summer with our local strawberries, but I'm not gonna wait till then to make a batch or two! Thanks for sharing Dori!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is getting pinned, (and baked as soon as I can squeeze a few carbs back into my diet). These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does look SERIOUSLY amazing!! What a treat they must be!

    ReplyDelete