Life Is Precious

Thursday, May 1, 2014



My planned post for this weekend was to tell you all about my garden.  I have pictures that show the gorgeous soil that was tilled so faithfully by Eldon.  The natural weed control plan I had in place which involved laying end roll newspaper and covering it with straw.  It was looking so gorgeous.  


My spring peas were just starting to climb the fence, my lettuce was just about ready for picking.  10 rows of heirloom, non-GMO corn planted and starting to sprout out.  The rest of the garden awaiting seeds and plants.  


Then we had an EF3 tornado in our community that took two lives, about 50 homes and thousands of huge old trees.  Flooding came with that.  The calmness I felt through it all was very strange.  I was very sad and heartsick for those so horrifically effected.  But it wasn't until I saw that my garden was gone that somehow it hit me.  And I cried and cried.  Hopefully, I'm not so shallow that I was crying for the loss of my garden.  But when I looked at it and felt so heartsick, I had a picture (albeit very tiny) of what it must feel like to come out of your shelter to the absolute loss of life, home and belongings.  All that you have labored for and loved.  Gone.  In the space of a few minutes.  


This morning I took a drive just a mile or so from our farm to see some of the damage.  Obviously not through the destroyed neighborhoods where they are limiting traffic and gawkers.  But I drove a backroad alongside some very damaged homes and through the woods.  I took my camera.  I couldn't manage to hardly lift it to my face.  I felt so horrified at the devastation.   And I can't believe that it was so close to our home and that of our daughter and family.  



I stopped at my favorite local Farmer's Market to buy some fresh strawberries and cried with the lady that owns the market.  The strawberry farmer lost his entire crop.  His livelihood.  The bucket of strawberries I bought came from the field where he and his brother tried, the day after the tornado, to salvage what they could to sell.  We stood there and the tears rolled.  She told me of the lady that lost a good share of her house and the work involved to have everything repaired was huge.  But she came to buy flowers to plant because she needed to get her hands in the soil and see life.  

I will begin work in my garden again next week.  And instead of crying about all the work that I need to re-do I will be thankful that I, and my family, are alive to work the soil again.


Today, I missed my parents so much.  I think I just wanted to cuddle up next to my elderly Momma and Daddy and feel the comfort that only parents can give.  
(The above picture is me with my parents and my daughter and her girls taken back in November.)  

Life is precious.  

 And I have a heart full of thankfulness.  

15 comments:

  1. Oh, Dori, isn't it awful? We came so close to being in the Marysville/Henryville tornado on our trip the year we stopped to meet you guys! If we hadn't had van trouble . . . we would likely have been one of the rolled over vehicles alongside the road. Time and chance . . . and when it comes so close, it really is a wake-up call! Glad you all are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Thankful also...love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dori, I am so glad that you posted this so that I know that all of you are safe. I read yours and your daughter's blogs each time you post. I get a lot of inspiration from them. I thought that you must live close to where the tornado hit. I live in middle Tennessee. The day after the tornado hit, I found an ad from a check book with a couple's name and address, which was in the county where the tornado hit. I also found some small pieces of tar paper and sheet rock debris in my yard. It made me feel like that we were right in the path of the tornado, but thankfully it weakened before it got to us. That shows how strong the winds were to carry debris that far. I am thankful that all of you are safe. Sincerely, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dori, My heart is with you... and I am glad you and your family are ok.... I could not imagine... Prayers your way for you and your community... XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy you and your family are OK...but the realization of what could have happened is terrifying. God works in mysterious ways. I really don't understand this crazy weather. I will be thinking of you and hoping your heart feels better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your open sharing and putting your feelings into words. You paint a clear picture of the aftermath of something like this happening in a community. Thankful with you that you & your family are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Dori, so glad you and your family are all ok! A friend of mine lost his house in Alabama, so it really hits home when it is so close. Life is definitely precious:-) I remember you posting about the candy roasters last year. If you didn't save seeds to plant, I would love to send you some that have been passed down through my family for generations. anita-faraboverubies@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank God you and your family are safe!!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I first started to read your post, I thought oh please NO.....I feel SO bad for this community....I am very happy you and your family are ok. The garden....the "what if's" were your thoughts looking at it maybe? It would just tear you in all directions I am sure. Life is precious ...my heart goes out to everyone there.We all need to be thankful for each and everyday we have with our family.Sending you a hug! Will say a prayer for all of you.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you see the devastation of what a tornado can do on tv is one thing, but when you personally experienced it, its heartbreaking. Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank the Lord you and your family are safe, counting your blessing I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such sadness. I'm so glad you and your daughter's family were safe. Mother Nature can be very powerful and scary. Spring is a difficult time of year with all the severe weather. Good luck rebuilding your garden.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praising God with you - in the midst (and aftermath) of your storm. I so appreciate your perspective that family is so valuable and time is so short. We never know.

    From ashes to Beauty...we rise!

    ReplyDelete